Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Shit on security! - We want self-realization and perspective!

Translation from Ralf Junge's blog entry: Scheiß auf Sicherheit! – Wir wollen Selbstverwirklichung und Perspektiven


It is a typical phenomenon, you complain about your job and certainly express your dissatisfaction by grumbling persistently. But let's be honest: it is not gonna change one bit. In the long run colleagues and friends are annoyed. I noticed this, so I did it. After long reconsidering of my current situation, my unhappiness and career perspectives, I resigned.
I welcome you to another episode of "Us Dissidents".
The decision was no where easy for me to take! I technically give up a secure job at a growing company with a great team. But what is security when I don't find my vocational fulfillung in my job? And when I am looking forward to the weekend and despite monday? And why do I tell you this anyways? 
The German Handelsblatt recently wrote about youg employees: "Because the members of Generation Y are not as (strongly) bound to their employers as their predecessor: Since constant flexibility of them is demanded, more frequent job changes and movings are not problem for them. Therefore they have no problem resigning"
The vocational self-realization plays no role. As I noticed, I want to develop in a different direction than I was able to in that certain position. I noticed also, for the last weeks I allowed many compromiseses because my security thought was stronger. I thought, 'oh c'mon, a secure job and a great team is great, get it together'. The security makes dull, yes inactive, because it is convenient. But at some point compromises became bigger and unbearable. So I resigned. To change directions of my life and my career. Finding new incentives.
Do you know what the awesome part is? Quite early I talked with my boss about my thought and shared my worries. In regard to this we thought about redesigning my job. We distributed tasks anew and initiated new projects. Nevertheless I resigned since I wanted to move into a completely different direction. In most other cases however, this employer behavior made its contribution to a longer employee commitment. It shows (in my case as well) the appreciation of employees. Keep a continueing dialogue between you and your employees and work on solutions together as soon as dissatisfaction or the urge to change job occurs! This is one of the essential tools of Employer Branding! It shows each employeer, he or she is an important part(icipant) of your company.

The commitment binding didn't work with me. But I keep being an ambassador recommending my now former employer as a great one to work at nonetheless. And this pretty much is a great success as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment